I can't believe I'm even writing this... This blog has changed so much in the past few years.
I have now survived having two children under two. I have a TWO YEAR OLD now! It's just insane to me.
Arie turned 2 on March 5th.
He's so full of spunk and personality and he has so much to say.
We had his birthday party yesterday and that was a roaring good time as well :)
I wil have to get some pictures uploaded from his party and all of his presents. He definitely understood that the presents were for him and that he got to open them.
I can't believe I've already had two years with this miracle baby.
Saturday, February 15, 2014
I really try to keep everything in perspective as much as I can. Especially now, when I feel like we are really struggling.
We wanted kids more than anything else on this earth. The Lord saw fit to give us TWO! Right on top of each other!
I've been sick (Hyperemesis with both pregnancies) and we have two super clingy, super needy babies. I'm so thankful for them, no matter how they are.
But I want to say, this has been a difficult season of life. Parenting is difficult, but this season with two under two has been an incredible feat to overcome. This winter has been the coldest and most snow in recorded history. We have used more wood than we ever would have expected. With me being sick and pregnant and taking care of Arie this past spring and then taking care of two babies all summer and fall, it has left me zero time to help Jack with the wood.
Jack has also been blessed with a great job, but he has been working a LOT.
In the past almost 3 years, I don't think we have had a minute to stop and catch our breath. Maybe 4. With the foster parent training, then me getting pregnant and being more sick than I could ever imagine, then our foster son coming and going, then Arie being born. Then the whirlwind of a newborn. And another pregnancy with Hyperemesis and taking care of a high needs infant. And now two high needs babies.
It really has been incredible that the house is still standing.
We are almost there... I can see the light.
18 days until Arie turns 2.
Tuesday, February 11, 2014
Just a little note about something The Lord is doing in my life today...
I was looking up the scripture for the Bible study 30 Ways in 30 Days for today. It was 1 Peter 3:15... And in my own Bible, I looked up 1 Peter 1:15.
But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; (1 Peter 1:15 KJV)
It was definitely what I needed to hear today. On top of:
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (1 Peter 3:15 KJV)
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
7 Month Update
- Cloth Diapering
- Diaper Laundry goes in the wash every morning. Having two washing machines is amazing.
- We used prefolds and covers all month. Both of the boys have seemed to outgrow the red-edge prefolds at the same time, both in absorbency and size/fit.
- I attempted to convert some prefolds to flats and my work seems to hold up only a few washes and I'm not sure why. I'm trying to avoid buying any more cloth diapers, but it appears inevitable.
- Potty training is slow, but I'm in no hurry. We have a potty seat and we still need to get a step stool. Arie will pee on the potty if we set him up there, but he doesn't let us know if he has to go or if he has gone. I'm not really in a hurry, but as the days go by and his communication skills and ability drastically increase, I know that it's not far off.
- Tandem Breastfeeding
- Both boys are still nursed on demand around the clock. Both waking probably equal times throughout the night, between 3-5 times or more on really bad nights.
- Luke has two bottom teeth and 3, almost 4 top teeth. He hasn't bit me very much in the last month while nursing, thankfully.
- Arie now only signs for milk or asks for "milk." Luke sometimes signs but I'm not sure if it's on purpose.
- Arie seems to be eating a little bit better. Kinda. He throws A LOT on the floor, but I can almost always get him to share a smoothie with me. Today's creation had bananas, kiwi, avocado, kale, spinach and grapefruit!
- Arie is 22lbs 4oz and Luke is just under 18lbs.
- I'm still dairy and soy free! I'm not in a hurry to add it back in. I feel great physically and my diet is not lacking, so I'm not planning to even consider adding it back in until after Luke is 1. I have been dairy and soy free since May 1st 2013, so 8 1/2 months now.
- The most exciting breastfeeding happening in the last month was that I started pumping to donate! I have about 250 oz in my freezer and I'm adding to it every day. I am able to pump 8-14oz a day, depending on how much time I have.
- Some nights are worse than others, and I know this won't last forever.
- Arie sleeps next to Jack most of the night now. He starts by getting rocked or laid down next to in his bed and then when he wakes up he will either ask to nurse or call out for Dada.
- Floor bed is still ok. I'm looking forward to having a normal bed back one day.
- We usually change the boys about once a night now.
- Naps are okay. (I'm rocking the boys as they nap as I write this!) They are generally from 12ish to 3ish. Give or take an hour. Somehow Luke will cat nap in the morning and then take a real good nap at the same time as Arie while I rock them both. And then again before bed, Luke usually takes another 10-20 minute cat nap.
- Home life - House stuff
- I'd love to accomplish more projects, but there is just no time.
- Jack's birthday was this past weekend and we had Jack Sr., Lisa, Daren and Kelly over to have dinner and cake and to celebrate.
- We are looking into systems that will make us more self sufficient by using our wood burner to generate electricity.
- I'd love a maid.
- Going Out and About
- Going out is now something that I'm limiting to as little as possible, still.
- I signed up for Door to Door Organics delivery and now I don't even have to leave to go to the grocery store. It ends up being the same or cheaper than what I would spend if I went to the store but I don't ever have to leave.
- I'm still leaving for LLL meetings and random play dates or shopping trips. I don't know where I would be without babywearing.
- Brotherly Love
- Arie has started getting rougher with Luke.
- Arie is very interested in Luke and what Luke is up to. He shares things with him and tries to play with him.
- Luke loves To a quack at Arie and play with whatever Arie has.
- Weighs about 17lbs 12oz. He's wearing 12-18 month size clothes.
- He has 5, almost 6 teeth. He laughs when tickled, reaches for me when he wants me to pick him up and loves to cuddle and bury his face in you.
- He only sleeps on my lap, in a wrap or carrier, or right next to me with either his legs on me or his arm draped over me.
- He's the happiest little boy.
- His hair is starting to get longer and grow a little bit over his ears
- He's eating raw fruits and veggies when he feels like it. Not much gets down, but he enjoys making a mess.
- He sits up for 15+ minutes at a time now. I can set him down with toys or by his activity block and he will play and play.
- He and Arie now have little chairs that attach onto the counter where they sit to eat.
- He is doing little push ups here and there showing the beginning stages of crawling.
- He is also strong enough that he can handle short baths in very shallow water with Arie without my help in the tub.
- He hasn't said his first for sure word yet.
- Talks all the time. After the past week of him asking all day for Dada, and me answering, "Dada's at work." He now says, "Dada's at work." All day.
- He knows so many words, it's amazing. He's learning shapes and colors and the alphabet!
- He's also started to put two words together: "red car" and say phrases "get down".
- He has started to climb and sit on the back of the couch and hang out.
- He decided that my mom is "ammaw" and Jack's Parents are "eemaw" & "peepaw"
- I can't believe how much of the alphabet he knows. He recognizes letters everywhere and in all different fonts.
- I'm about to switch him from 18-24month sizes to 2T!! He's gotten so tall.
Monday, December 23, 2013
My days are so full, I can't even believe how much I do in a day. Diapers, nursing, washing diapers and clothes, changing outfits, cooking and cleaning up... I am constantly busy. This is definitely the way I prefer it, but I just can't believe the amount I do and have to do every single day.
I'm trying to find an indoor clothesline solution to reduce the amount that I use my dryer, too. Especially today while the power is out, I have clothes air drying everywhere and diapers hanging to dry all over the place, and that makes me wonder why I don't air dry things all the time.
I can't believe how big the boys are getting. Luke is in 9 month clothes and sprouting up fast and Arie is finally filling out his 18 month clothes.
Every day is awesome because both Luke and Arie reach milestone after milestone.
My sister is here and without me telling him, he remembered from when she was here a few weeks ago on Thanksgiving that her name was Liz. He knows Mama, Dada, Lukey, Dixie, Puppy (Bessie) and now Liz by name.
This is such an amazing thing to have children and watch them learn about themselves and their abilities, and then the world around them. I'm just so amazed.